COLORBOND® steel – 5 layers of protection
Manufactured in Australia and tested over the last 50 years in some of the harshest Australian conditions, genuine COLORBOND® steel is far more than just ‘paint on steel’.
5 Layers of Protection
- The steel base is manufactured to meet relevant Australian Standards, ensuring strict adherence to the required grade and strength
- The base is then coated in BlueScope’s industry-leading metallic coating incorporating Activate® technology1, to provide enhanced corrosion resistance
- A thin pre-treatment layer is applied to optimise the adhesion of further coatings
- A corrosion inhibitive primer is baked onto the surface
- A topcoat of specially developed, exterior grade paint with Thermatech® solar reflectance technology2 is baked on to provide resistance to chipping, flaking and blistering and to ensure the finish retains its look for longer.
Activate® technology, is BlueScope's industry leading, patented, metallic coating technology1.
The unique composition and microstructure of the aluminium / zinc / magnesium alloy coating (AM) was developed for improved corrosion resistance compared to aluminium / zinc alloy coating (AZ), and acts in three ways:
- Magnesium, aluminium and zinc compounds are strategically positioned in the coating to provide sacrificial protection
- Magnesium compounds encourage the formation of a more robust barrier, slowing the rate of subsequent corrosion
- Magnesium compounds also 'activate' the metal coating resulting in more effective, longer-lasting sacrificial protection
Thermatech® Solar Reflectance technology
COLORBOND® steel with Thermatech® solar reflectance technology2, provides Australia’s property owners, architects, builders and developers with colour choices that reflect more of the sun’s heat on hot, sunny days.
Thermatech® technology is designed to increase the solar reflectance properties of COLORBOND® steel and is available in 21 of the roofing and walling colours2 as well as all of the standard colours for COLORBOND® Ultra steel and COLORBOND® steel Matt.
It's widely known that lighter colours are better at reflecting heat. With Thermatech® solar reflectance technology, even the darker colours in the COLORBOND® steel range have solar reflective properties which may help to keep your building stay cooler2.