PFD Food Services required a new distribution centre to be built at their existing site located at Knoxville, East Melbourne. Working closely with Vaughan Constructions, ASKIN were required to manufacture and install 38,500m2 of XFLAM panel throughout the 25,500m2 office, refrigerated warehouse and distribution space.
The challenges faced during this project was the sheer size of the distribution centre and the quantity of XFLAM panel required to be manufactured and installed to create multiple cool rooms and freezers, all with a heavily compressed program.
To overcome the challenges and complexities faced during construction, ASKIN provided the following solutions:
- Over 20 weeks, ASKIN managed to install on average, 2,000m2 of XFLAM Panel each week.
- A minimum of four dedicated installation crews (30 plus installers) were used, resulting in multiple areas being built simultaneously.
- A full-time Project Manager and Contract Administrator on site to manage detailing, material deliveries and quality assurance.
- Using XFLAM’s superior span lengths required less steel work, making it quicker and more efficient to install.
- XFLAM used for external walls, internal walls, ceilings and built in accordance with NCC Group 1, IPCA Code of Practice, and FM Approvals.
The result for PFD Food Services is a new distribution centre in compliance with all relevant building codes. The distribution centre is located adjacent to their existing site in east Melbourne and has a dedicated seafood processing space, refrigerated food storage and dry food stores. The facility boasts:
- 8,500m2 of freezer space
- 5,500m2 cool room
- 25 loading docks
If you would like to know more about this project, or how ASKIN can help you with quality panel manufacture, specification, engineering, design or installation, please contact one of our friendly team members.